SgHama's MBA Dream

After 2 years of what if's and worrying about the finances... class of 2008 here I come!

Monday, January 02, 2006

Happy New Year!

This past weekend has probably been one of the most relaxed weekends I have had for the past few months. For once I was able to just bum around without worrying about essays and the like. Watched 20 episodes of the Bleach anime (yeah I can be such an otaku when I have the time) and it totally kicks ass. I only stopped cuz I ran out of episodes to watch, and will need to bug my friend about downloading moreā€¦

Ok, I did try to squeeze in some interview preparation between episodes (I've got this feeling that my Tuck interview is going to hit me sometime next week) but that just consisted of trying to fill out responses to some sample questions. I've been pretty lazy about the whole process and am wondering whether my complacency is going to come bite me in the ass. Guess I've usually been able to articulate my thoughts at interviews, and Tuck does interview 70% of its applicants so I think this interview wouldn't carry as much as weight as it normally would at other schools.

Right now I'm trying to come up with points for the following questions:

  • What types of people would you pick for your study group?
  • If you had one year completely off, what would you do?
  • Example of a great leader and what makes him great
  • Since your long term career goals is in your home country, why do you want an MBA from a US school?

These are trickier questions and if anyone out there has any thoughts on them, please drop me a line. I think it's a fine line between what I would do if there were no implications and what the interviewer wants to hear. Spending 6 months surfing and another 6 months snowboarding would be a damn good way to spend a year if I didn't have to do anything else, but saying that would tantamount to suicide.

Work starts tomorrow and I'm dreading leaving my comfy lifestyle at home. I'll probably be traveling again soon - looks like I'll be going to Tokyo next week and I'm not sure how long I'll be there for. Tentatively 6 to 8 weeks and coming back home maybe once every 2-3 weeks.

I have mixed feelings about this assignment. While I look forward to going back to Japan - will be able to meet up with friends from high school and college I haven't seen in years - the prospect of seeing my wife only 3 days a month isn't as appealing. Throw in the fact that I'm supposed to be staying in a 13.5 square meter hotel room (the area includes the toilet) and the situation looks bleak. But I cheer myself up by looking forward to leaving town and hitting the slopes on weekends where I don't have to work. I haven't stepped on a board in 8 years and I am ready to start carving huge turns and getting big air... as long as I don't leave impressions of my face in the snow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home