SgHama's MBA Dream

After 2 years of what if's and worrying about the finances... class of 2008 here I come!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Choke

I am reeling now from my interview experience. I messed up - simple as that.

The call came on time at 8:45pm and the interview took about 35 minutes (my interviewer had an 8:30am class, 9:30pm my time). Questions asked:

  • Question about one of my extracurricular activities.
  • Why do you need an MBA now?
  • What do you want from an MBA program?
  • How do you see yourself contributing to Tuck?
  • Give me an example of a time when you set a goal and what you did to achieve it.
Simple enough right?? It should have been. But I think my nerves got the better of me. The first question kinda threw me offguard, and my answer was so so. I was nervous, and it definitely showed. I completely froze halfway through the Why MBA question. My mind just went blank and I couldn't say anything for a good 20 seconds. What went wrong??? I have no idea - this is the story that I know like the back of my hand. I mean , I've written about it in 3 essays. No excuse for screwing up a career goals question. I sounded ridiculous.

I answered the next question with a "Why Tuck" response. Over here I guess I was ok, but with one glaring mistake - I forgot to mention the close-knit, collaborative community!!! That is what Tuck is all about and I was rambling all about academics, proximity to nature, but nothing about the community. Strike 2.

My answers to the next two questions were alright, I guess. I talked about a couple of clubs and discussed a work experience. I got more comfortable as the interview progressed, but my delivery was far from articulate and smooth. At the end I asked the interviewer about his experiences with his first year project and international field study.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would probably give myself a 5. In hindsight, I now know why people have mock interviews. What really drives me crazy is that the questions were easy and I had prepared them. My answers just didn't come out right. I just hope that it wasn't bad enough to keep me out. I've heard how a good interview won't bump someone up from a ding to an admit, but that a bad interview can certainly hurt.

8 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

I think phone interviews are SO tough. I would bomb one for sure. I NEED the eye contact and the reassurance that I am connecting with the other person. The phone conversation just cannot give you all that. I hope you did better then you thought - it sounds like you did mention some great things :)

1/05/2006 4:39 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

hey, could you contribute your interview experience to our mba admissions wiki ?

1/05/2006 6:42 AM  
Blogger laserlikefocus said...

Hey don't worry too much. The interviewer's grading system is very different from yours. You might be closer to 10 than you think.

1/05/2006 7:28 AM  
Blogger FooBarMe said...

I can totally relate to your experience because I screwed up my Wharton one. However,I can say that sometimes interviews just dont go well..you may not be in the right frame of mind or there is just weird chemistry with the interviewer or just simply the lack of visual feedback. The person interviewing you may not be as harsh as you are being on yourself. It seems that you did have good points for your answers so dont sweat it too much.
Best of luck!!

1/05/2006 8:51 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

Hey - you never know! When do R2 decisions start coming out? The trick is to have your first notification be an admit...then you never really feel rejected :)

1/07/2006 3:02 AM  
Blogger Vinay Pandey said...

Phone interviews can be pretty tough mate, my Tuck interview was pretty similar. Hey but dont worry, the whole process is so random that you never really know what to expect. My ISB interview was pretty stressful and i least expected a call, but got an admit!

Keep the hope mate, we are all rooting for you!

1/08/2006 12:47 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

well..you might think you have bombed but maybe not. Just to tell you...after I wrote my GMAT, I was about to cancel my score. Im sure glad I did not.
We tend to be unduely harsh and critical on ourselves. Perhaps the interviewers are tired of hearing about the close knit community and are thinking about something else.
dont think more into it than you have to !
cheers matey
-Ash

1/23/2006 11:43 PM  
Blogger anonymous said...

hi there
your blog is very informative and gives a lot of insight.
I am interviewing with Tuck next year and was wondering if you have ny tips- any research you'd done on the school?
What are some GOOD questions I can ask about the school? please email me at prashanth_cherukuri@yahoo.com
thanks man
Prashanth

9/27/2007 12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home