SgHama's MBA Dream

After 2 years of what if's and worrying about the finances... class of 2008 here I come!

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Mind block

Over the weekend, I decided to really do something about my essays and tried to do some serious brainstorming. All the MBA books I've read so far have some form of organizing worksheet/tool to help you get started. e.g. Your MBA Gameplan has an activities grid to fill out, and Montauk's book has a list of questions in the Personal Organizer section. Clear Admit also has a questionnaire that they require all their clients to fill out.

Wait, what happened to the MBA gamplan website??? I wanted to create a link to the site but it's been replaced with some Veritas GMAT test prep page????? C'mon guys.... the original was 100 times better and actually quite useful, with sample essays and comments. Please bring it back!!

Anyway, back to the brainstorming. I'd already given some thought to career goals, why MBA, why now type issues. But how could I package it nicely and flesh it out with examples and insights that would bring out the real me behind my resume? I went straight to what I felt were the more challenging areas to answer in each of the "organizers". First up was the "Personal Questions" section of Montauk's list:

  • Who are the four or five people who have most influenced you? (who and how?)
  • What are the four or five things you most admire in others? (in whom and why?)
  • What are your four or five most memorable experiences, whether great or small?
  • What was your greatest success, and what did you learn from it?
  • What was your greatest failure, and what did you learn from it?
  • What fear have you overcome? (how, why?)
  • What do your friends most like (and dislike) about you?
  • What are the four or five (or more) key words that would describe you? What on your list demonstrates this?
  • Do you have a personal motto or something that you frequently quote?

??? I ran right into a mental roadblock. I'd never really considered such questions before and trying to list down the 5 most influential people in my life or what I admire most in others were insanely difficult. I think I finally understand how the whole MBA application process can be a period of intense introspection and a learning experience in itself.

I never made it past the first question and ended up watching the NBA playoffs instead. Will have to come back to this again, but I need to do some deep thinking first. I have the feeling it will be easier once I get the ball rolling. The first step is the key to it all!

2 Comments:

Blogger SgHama said...

Yup took it a year and a half ago and I'm glad it's over!

6/02/2005 9:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So many blogs and only 10 numbers to rate them. I'll have to give you a 9 because you have a quailty topic.

Free Access To More Information Aboutairfares

10/12/2005 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home