SgHama's MBA Dream

After 2 years of what if's and worrying about the finances... class of 2008 here I come!

Thursday, April 21, 2005

What a great year it's going to be

Haven't done much for MBA apps the past few days.

Signed up for the Tuck Connections program where Tuck matches applicants with students based on their profile, and I've already gotten a response from my student counterpart! The matching process is pretty efficient and it's a great initiative to offer potential applicants the chance to find out more about Tuck - they paired me up with a 2nd year student, also from Singapore and also previously working in consulting. He's been very helpful and enthusiastic about the Tuck MBA program and I think it really shows the close-knit community that Tuck has. Now I remember why it was my first choice a year ago... Go Tuck!

I also plan to call Sandy from Cambridge Essay Service to have a chat about my apps. Will give the details on that later...

Other than that I've been busy trying to find a flat to purchase! Wait, why am I trying to buy an apartment when i'm planning to take out a USD 120K student loan in a years time?? Well... I'm getting married in Oct and my fiancee and I don't want to live with our parents. The truth is there is a very high probability that I will not get into any of the programs i'm applying for, and renting an apartment doesn't seem very attractive. So we want to find a flat that 1) we like and will be comfortable living in and 2) will be easy to rent out should we end up in the US next year.

Add wedding preparations to the mix and you'll get an idea of how stressful the year is going to be! Oh, and did I mention that I'm targeting for a promotion this September??

So this is potentially going to be the one of the busiest and most memorable years in my life! Maybe this is something I can write about in my essays?? I can envision it already - Describe one of your greatest challenges...

3 Comments:

Blogger sorebrek said...

Makes for a good read. Best wishes and welcome to MBA blogging. Cheers,

4/25/2005 8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wish you the very best.

why do you think you have a high probability of not getting into any of these programs - I would have thought exactly the opposite.

4/26/2005 1:51 PM  
Blogger SgHama said...

Thanks guys. Chances of getting into stanford, wharton, chicago, and tuck are low (<40%, <10% for stanford i think) because right now i'm one face out of thousands of consultants with probably better EC's, life stories, grades, etc... But i'm not giving up and hopefully something will shine through in my essays!

4/26/2005 5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home