SgHama's MBA Dream

After 2 years of what if's and worrying about the finances... class of 2008 here I come!

Monday, April 18, 2005

Pondering admissions consultants and essay editors

With all these thoughts about how to put together a competitive application, I went browsing through the services offered by MBA admissions consultants/essay editors. And surpise surprise... these guys cost more than an arm and a leg!!

Although with all the success stories I've read, I wonder if it's actually worth it. Case in point - AV, a very satisfied Clear Admit client: "I applied to 4 top 10 business schools. For three schools (Stanford, Wharton & Columbia) I completed the applications on my own and for one (HBS), I took the assistance of Clear Admit. I was admitted to only HBS! ..."

Of course I take all of this with a pinch of salt (after all, anybody can write a "testimonial" about themselves!), but it still makes me go hmmmm... But at the end of the day, I guess it all boils down to whether I'm willing to fork over $2000 to make my application more competitive with the right angles, but still not guaranteed to earn me a place in my target school. At this point, I'm not ready to part with money just yet but I think these guys can really make a difference so I'll keep this option open...

Clear Admit does offer free feedback on resumes though, so I sent in my resume to see what they had to say. They came back with some interesting observations which more or less confirmed what I had anticipated about my application's weaknesses and strengths. But the key is having someone experienced with the admissions process pointing out those weaknesses to you. It then makes people like me, who might otherwise brush off those weaknesses, take a second look and seriously think of how to improve on them because if they see weaknesses in my profile, those admissions guys are surely are going to see the same problems! I would definitely recommend that applicants make use of this service and get some free feedback!!

Other websites I went to:
Cambridge Essay Service
EssayEdge.com
Accepted.com

If anyone out there has any first hand experience working with these guys, please leave me a note!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi ,

i am a 08 b school hopeful myself, and would love to connect. I am presently in Singapore.

Can you drop me a mail at simranandraj@gmail.com

Cheers

4/21/2005 10:44 AM  
Blogger SG said...

Contragts on the admits. Did you use an adm consultant? I am thinking of contacting Sandy. Does he offer good advice?

3/26/2006 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home