SgHama's MBA Dream

After 2 years of what if's and worrying about the finances... class of 2008 here I come!

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

More reminiscing about the GMAT...

Oddly enough, I didn't take the GMAT for the purpose of applying to b-school. This probably needs more explaining - I have a tech background (engineering major) and when I finished my national service, I jumped straight into IT consulting because I thought my background fit the bill. Only after I'd worked for about a year and half or so, did I then discover that there were all these other non-tech related career paths available to fresh grads, no matter what you majored in!

I then decided that management consulting was what I wanted to do. The problem was, my GPA didn't quite make the cut for the top firms. So I decided to take the GMAT in the hope that a good score would compensate for it. Well, that strategy didn't work out and I was dinged from pretty much all the firms I applied to without even an interview. So much for that.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I ended up in what's probably considered a Tier 2 strategy firm (i.e. not McKinsey, BCG, Bain) and I'm enjoying the change in job scope. But at the same time, that's also reaffirmed my interest in taking it to the next level. Hence B-School... it's a good thing the GMAT is done and I can hopefully focus on getting my essays up. Funny how it works out sometimes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home